NATURE'S Bats Last With Garrett Buckland – Part 1
I had a great time recording this podcast with my friend and consultant viticulturist, Garrett Buckland. Our conversation gets deep into the technical weeds right off the bat, and thus I’ve split the podcast into two episodes. Get your coffee, turn on your brain, and get ready to get schooled on what is involved in growing grapes for some of California’s top wineries. Garrett gives insight into:
- Bringing grapevines into the US and what it takes to clean up the virus and certify new clones
- How grapegrowing has changed in the past 20 years
- The most critical aspects of caring for a vineyard designed to make iconic wines
- The effect of the current drought on graperowing and the 2014 vintage
- Garrett’s vineyard time lapse videos on Youtube provide a unique look at how vines grow, and the less obvious fact that vines don’t have any growth at all for half of the year.
Garrett runs Premiere Viticulture with business partner Steve Matthiasson, who has his own eponymous brand, Matthiasson. I very much enjoyed an interview with Steve on the I’ll Drink to That Podcast Episode 147.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE: